In This Section
CARE, located in the Ene River Valley, Peru, aim to support Ashaninka communities achieve a "good life"
CARE stands for Central Ashaninka del Rio Ene, and is located in the Ene River Valley, Peru.
The main aim of CARE is to support the Ashaninka communities to achieve a “good life” (“Kametsa Asaike”), which is based on 8 principles related to:
- Culture and ethics
- Food security
- Territory and harmony with nature
- Sustainable production
- Traditional medicine and access to health services
CARE represents 17 communities and 33 annexes in the Ene River. We have worked with CARE since 2008, on the following issues:
- Securing community lands
- Improving the management of the Ashaninka Communal Reserve
- Developing alternative opportunities to create sustainable livelihoods opportunities
- Defend the Ashaninka territory against the construction of mega-dams
- Improve forest governance
"Since the time of our grandparents, the world has change a great deal. But some things remain the same: now, as then, without territory, without forest, the world would end for the Ashaninka of the Ene River...." Ruth Buendia, President of CARE